We have heard from our sports teacher, our parents, and from other people about what to do and what not to do before exercising. Well let's check out what Dr. Shi has to comment about those advice;
Advice #1: Don't drinking a lot of water after sports because it is not good for the human body
Dr. Shi: If an athlete drinks more than he/she lost, then it is not good because there might be a problem with lower blood level. It will be better if you drink a scientifically formulated sports drink containing both carbohydrate and electrolytes after exercise. This drink will ensure that you have complete rehydration.
Advice #2: Don't drink cold water after sports because it will give you a "shock" to your body system.
Dr. Shi: Drinking cold water after sports is actually okay because it helps calm down the increase of body temperature. Theren is actually no evidence that cold water gives us a "shock".
Advice #3: Drinking carbonated drinks after exercise is harmful to our bodies because it increases levels of carbon dioxide in your body system.
Dr. Shi: Drinking carbonated beverages after sports can slow down the rehydration process because it could cause bloating. Drinking carbonated drinks is not harmful actually, but just uncomfortable during exercise.
Advice #4: Drinking lots of water makes us go to the bathroom often and it is not comfortable especially during track events.
Dr. Shi: Water is good to quench your thirst away but not good enough to rehydrate your body because it lacks electrolyte and flavour. Electrolytes help to keep the water inside your body instead of flushing it away.. As told before, it is better to drink a properly formulated sports drink.
Advice #5: Drinking too much water makes our bodies heavier so we cant run fast enough
Dr. Shi: Fluid actually helps you maintain a consistent body weight and stay properly hydrated. So it doesnt actually matter.
I think that it is interesting to read all of this things and to learn something new through these articles. This can have an inpact on our lives and how we take care of ourselves. I hope it is interesting to whoever read this!
Questions for readers:
1. Do u think an article like this is important to be published and read by people? Why or why not?
Jakarta Post, Friday, December 5, 2008
page 28
WS
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hello WS,
Congratulations on your blog's new look. It is very nice and the colors seem to suit your personality.
My response to your question is YES. I think that an article like the one you chose to write about is not front page news but it will catch the interest of people and get them thinking about their water consumption after or before doing sports.
Personally, I do not drink a lot of water before or after exercising (probably because I don't exercise much!). When I do exercise,I try to avoid drinking very cold water because it could give me a short-lived headache.
I found the information on carbonated drinks and especially formulated sports drink interesting. As long as Dr. Shi is not promoting a particular sports drink, I think I am willing
to try one next time I exercise. Pocari Sweat I think is one of the more popular sports drinks, although I will never understand why someone would want to use the word "sweat" in the name of a drink. It doesn't sound right.
By the way, of all the topics you could be reading in the Jakarta Post, what interested you personally about the article you chose?
MLC Anchor
P.S. When referencing an article, don't forget to include the title of the article, followed by the nme of the paper, the issue date, and the page numbers.
e.g. "Sports and Water Consumption." Jakarta Post, 5 December 2008. p.10.
Grammar note
When using the imperative, don't add "-ing" to the ending of your verb.
Incorrect: Don't drinking ...
Correct: Don't drink ...
WOW! WS! that was a wonderful post... It really made me think about what I should drink after running in P.E... Next year, when we start P.E. again I am hoping to drink the right drinks.
My answer is sometimes... It is sometimes because it is important when you can be involved in the topic. Because if not I would not need any use to that...
Thanks anyway for the post!!!
-KJH-
Good post here. There are some really useful information that I did not know before.
I think it is important. Some people do not know about these informations and it is really important for them to know that something simple can be bad for their health. Many people drink after they were running because they were thirsty. They might not know about these informations. So, it's really helpful.
^_^ P
Post a Comment